Therapeutic Riding Center
The National Sports Center for the Disabled offers lessons in basic horse care, grooming, horse health and behavior, Western or English riding skills and therapeutic recreational games.
Trail rides for individuals, families and groups: $35/person/hour
Group lessons (1-4 times): $45 each
Private lessons (1-4 times): $55 each
Group 5 week session (5 times): $175 total
Private 5 week session (5 times): $225 total
Lesson times: 9:00 am, 11:00 am, 1:30 pm
Each lesson is 1.5 hours
Session I: June 5 – July 7
Session II: July 17 – August 18
Session III: August 21 – September 22
The National Sports Center for the Disabled (NSCD) provides services to people of all genders and ages with doctor-identified medical diagnoses who benefit from specialized instruction, adaptations to equipment, or modification to sport to allow participation. We also welcome the families of our participants. There are times that we offer services to a peer group so that the participant can enjoy the activity in an inclusive environment. A range of diagnoses are covered in the physical, cognitive and affective disciplines and include but are not limited to the following:
Physical: Allergies (severe). Amputation, Arthritis, Arthrogryposis, Asthma (severe), Blind or low Vision, Brain Injury, Cancer (with outstanding effects), Cerebral Palsy, Congenital Heart Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Deaf or Hard of Hearing, Diabetes (with outstanding effects), Epilepsy, Feeding Tube, Heart Problems, Mobility Challenges, Muscular Dystrophy, Multiple Sclerosis, Polio Survivor or Post-Polio Syndrome, Respiratory Disease, Shunt, Spina Bifida, Spinal Cord Injury, Stroke, Syndromes, Transplant
Emotional: Acting out , Aggressive Behavior, Anti-Social, Anxiety, Depression, Disorientation, Eating Disorder, Neurosis, PTSD, Psychosis, Schizophrenia, Substance Abuse, Self-Abusive
Cognitive: ADD, ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Distractibility (with outstanding effects), Down Syndrome , Dyslexia (with outstanding effects), Hyperactivity, Developmental Delays, Perceptual Difficulty
Participants with medical diagnoses of any type must submit the appropriate paperwork including NSCD’s Medical History and Physician’s Statement form which requires a physician’s signature. The NSCD will send the paperwork once a participant is registered for a lesson or activity. If you have questions, please call NSCD at 303-316-1518.
Individual and family reservations are required and can be made by calling 303-316-1518. Reservations are on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Payment and Cancellations:
- A 50% deposit is due at the time a reservation is made. The remainder of your payment is due thirty (30) days prior to your first scheduled activity. If an activity is scheduled within thirty (30) days of service, the full payment is due at the time of the reservation.
- If a participant reservation is canceled with less than 7 days’ notice, you will be charged 50% of your activity cost. An exception may be made if a participant reservation is canceled due to illness. A doctor’s note must be provided to be considered for a full refund. All refunds will be considered on an individual basis and made at the sole discretion of NSCD.
- Due to instructor availability, we require 7 days’ notice to reschedule the date of your activity. Any changes made to a participant reservation with less than 7 days’ notice will be treated as a cancellation and will be subject to a 50% charge. An exception may be made only if a participant reservation must be rescheduled due to illness and a doctor’s note is provided. Any rescheduled activity will be considered on an individual basis, and schedule changes will be made at the sole discretion of the NSCD.
- If a participant does not attend a scheduled activity and does not call in advance to cancel they are considered a “no show” and there will be no refund.
- Scholarship application and information is available here.